Sunday, May 10, 2020

Hope Accepts the Circumstance

Hope accepts the reality of what has happened. It’s not wishful thinking or denial. Learn what that means today.

hope accepts

When David and his men came to Ziklag, they found it destroyed by fire and their wives and sons and daughters taken captive. So David and his men wept aloud until they had no strength left to weep. 1 Samuel 30:3-4

Hope Accepts and the Stockdale Paradox

You’ve heard me talk about the Stockdale Paradox. I’ll do it again, in case you don’t remember what it is.

James Stockdale, former vice-presidential candidate, who, during the Vietnam War, was held captive as a prisoner of war for over seven years. He was one of the highest-ranking naval officers at the time.

During this horrific period, Stockdale was repeatedly tortured and had no reason to believe he'd make it out alive. Held in the clutches of the grim reality of his hell world, he found a way to stay alive by embracing both the harshness of his situation with a balance of healthy optimism.

Stockdale explained this idea as the following:

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end — which you can never afford to lose — with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

I see this same thought in Scripture. Hebrews 12:7 tells us:

“Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?”

I’ve come to learn to balance the idea that I will not blame God for the works of one who comes to steal, kill and destroy. I cannot blame God for works of the enemy.

But I also must assume God will turn all things out for my good, so He uses the work of the enemy for my discipline.

So I need to endure hardship as discipline. I need to confront the most brutal facts of current reality. I can’t ever lose sight of the fact God will make it beautiful in His time.

Does this thought help you #CopeWithHope?

Check out what group coaching can do. https://revtrev.com/group

No comments:

Post a Comment